Mumbai is celebrated for its theatre scene.
I had the good luck of watching two really good plays by Atul Kumar.
Noises Off by Micheal Frayn and Piya Behrupiya which is a musical adaptation of The twelfth night by Shakespeare.
Noises Off: This was performed by "The Theatre Company" and was a laugh riot. I don't remember laughing so much ever in any play.The play is about the things that can go wrong and do go on with the dress rehersal in a play.The first act showed the stage of the to be staged play. The third act shows the green room with the play being staged on its opening night. The coordination in the third act where the backside of the stage is shown was super. The performance was brilliant and full of energy. Vikki played by Yuki Ellias was exceptional and her performance as a clueless , amateur actress was one of the highlights of the whole play.
Piya Behrupiya: This is based on The Twelfth Night. Thankfully I made it a point to read this story before watching this play. It helped a lot because otherwise I would surely have been lost between Orsinno, Violla and Cessario. I found part a bit draggy because I couldn't understand some of the dialogues which were in Hindi.But the second part was a huge bounce back and i was riveted to the stage the entire time.The dance , the execution is perfect. The fight scene between Andrew and Sebastian was depicted in a novel way with a hilarious quawali match . It is a colorful medley of folksongs, love songs and some kabir sufi.
A refreshing , musically novel , colourful , Indian way of treating Shakespeare.
I had the good luck of watching two really good plays by Atul Kumar.
Noises Off by Micheal Frayn and Piya Behrupiya which is a musical adaptation of The twelfth night by Shakespeare.
Noises Off: This was performed by "The Theatre Company" and was a laugh riot. I don't remember laughing so much ever in any play.The play is about the things that can go wrong and do go on with the dress rehersal in a play.The first act showed the stage of the to be staged play. The third act shows the green room with the play being staged on its opening night. The coordination in the third act where the backside of the stage is shown was super. The performance was brilliant and full of energy. Vikki played by Yuki Ellias was exceptional and her performance as a clueless , amateur actress was one of the highlights of the whole play.
Piya Behrupiya: This is based on The Twelfth Night. Thankfully I made it a point to read this story before watching this play. It helped a lot because otherwise I would surely have been lost between Orsinno, Violla and Cessario. I found part a bit draggy because I couldn't understand some of the dialogues which were in Hindi.But the second part was a huge bounce back and i was riveted to the stage the entire time.The dance , the execution is perfect. The fight scene between Andrew and Sebastian was depicted in a novel way with a hilarious quawali match . It is a colorful medley of folksongs, love songs and some kabir sufi.
A refreshing , musically novel , colourful , Indian way of treating Shakespeare.
wow... sounds amazing. Do they upload youtube videos of these stage plays?
ReplyDelete