I witnessed Ronu Majumdar play the shank bansuri. His style of playing is unique. fast and quick . it was a joy to see the tabla and the flute keep pace with each other.
This happened in the Sanget Mahabharati in Juhu.The ocassion was to mark the birth centenary of Pt. Pannalal Ghosh. It was a marvelous evening and Pt. Ronu Majumdar showed a lot of variety of flute playing especially using the 7th hole which is Pt.. Pannalal Ghosh's contribution to flute playing.
On Janmasthami Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia plays the entire 24 hours starting from midnight at his gurukul in Juhu. I went at about 10:30 on Janmasthami day and it was a beautiful recital.
Panditji and his students play the whole of Janmasthami festival. Prasadam is also served at lunch. Ahir bhairav was played for nearly 3 hours while I was there . Many notable falutists had come to pay their respects and play along with panditji : Rakesh Chaurasia , Rupak Kulkarni , Himanshu Nanda and Jay Gandhi. The Krishna puja and the whole atmosphere was wonderful and heavenly. A rare treat indeed.
.jpg)


No comments:
Post a Comment